Monday, December 17, 2007

Heat Shield Labs

In this lab we were supposed to make a heat shield (out of foil, metal mesh, one nut, and one washer) to protect our rocket ship (a screw glued on to a wooden dowel). Then we put it to the test with a propane torch and timed how long it lasted until the glue melted and the rocket fell.

My first attempt lasted for 15 seconds. We realized that it would last longer if there was air between the heat shield and the tip of the screw (also if there wasn't any exposed rocket). My second attempt lasted for 50 seconds and then my heat shield fell apart (it was sown together). If I had more time I would want to try making a heat shield using other things to keep it together, that was my main issues, keeping it on!

I think this is important because during Mission to Mars we are going to have to launch and take off and it would be bad if our rocket blew up in the process. I want to experiment with other materials like ceramics that don't conduct heat.

No comments: